Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Oh Prom. Overrated.

I attended 2 proms. Both events mixed junior and senior year high schoolers.

At my progressive high school, it was completely normal to either a) go with a group of your gal pals stag or b) ask the guy you wanted to go with you to prom.

The first year, I asked a sweet, tall athlete named Tyler. Today, Tyler is serving our fine country in the military. After I took him, he also rescued a lady out of her car when she got into a car crash. I had to stretch my arms waaay up high in order to reach his shoulders. Now, interestingly enough, Tyler had "cool" friends, so the night we went together, his "cool" friends actually talked to me. After that, I was totally invisible again.

Would I ask Tyler to prom again? Yep, in a heartbeat. He was very gentlemanly, opening cab doors.

Senior year I decided to be a rebel and ask a punky, red-dyed hair, GED kid who was a year younger than me. Since his father was a taxi driver, Sean couldn't afford a suit. Hence, at his request, we rented him a velvet, plaid tuxedo jacket. Sean was well behaved, but seemed very bored half the night. Later on, post prom, Sean got hooked on cocaine.

Would I ask Sean to prom again? Nope. I liked his quirky style, but he was not into dancing or getting to know my friends better. Do I feel like I missed out by not being asked by the guy? Not too much, actually, and I'm not sure why.




No comments:

Post a Comment